Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Review of Captive by KM Fawcett & Author Interview



Please help me welcome K.M. Fawcett to A Buckeye Girl Reads! She's here today to talk about her new release, Captive!! 


Can you explain Captive in 140 words or less?
The last thing Addy Dawson remembers is a blazing inferno and freezing river water overtaking her lungs. She awakens on a strange planet, trapped in a cell with no doors, no windows-- and to her horror-- a naked warrior who claims to be her mate.

Alpha gladiator, Max is forced to breed warriors for the Survival Race, a deadly blood sport created by the alien rulers of Hyborea. To rebel means torture-or worse-yet Max refuses to become the animal his captors want him to be. But their jailors will not be denied, and soon Addy and Max find themselves unwilling players in this cruel game. Pushed to the limit, they will risk everything for freedom. And though fate brought them together as adversaries, Max and Addy will discover when they're together, nothing in the universe can stop them.

Who was the hardest character to write?
Probably Addy. Max seemed easy to write from the beginning. I knew exactly who he was and what his goals were. He was very straightforward. Addy, was a little bit harder as she required more layers to her personality. I needed to balance her strength with her fear. She needed to be courageous yet vulnerable. I don't think readers like a heroine that is too perfect or too imperfect. It’s a tough balance.

Do you have a favorite scene between Max & Addy that you can share with us?
I love them all, but I’m the author so I’m biased, right? J Honestly, I love how Max and Addy interact with each other regardless if the scene is tense, humorous, sexy, or heart wrenching. They make a good match for each other, and each brings something unique to the relationship. Little does Max know that while he teaches Addy how to survive, she teaches him how to live.

What is your favorite character trait about Max?
Max is a tortured hero. After fifteen years of abuse and bloody survival races, he’s lost his humanity…until he’s paired with a woman who refuses to mate. Her fire and passion for freedom reawakens life inside him. He’s drawn to Addy’s strength, but fears the Hyboreans will break her spirit like they broke his. My favorite character trait is Max’s protective instincts for Addy. He might make mistakes in his execution, but his goal to keep her safe never wavers. I love that.

What makes Addy stand out as a heroine?
Addy stands out as a heroine because although she’s not a kick-ass superhero, she has the courage to take kick-ass superhero risks. She’s determined to escape captivity or die trying. She’s a regular person with painful secrets who must learn to trust in order to reach freedom.

Do you have a favorite comfort read, if so who?
I don’t really have a favorite comfort read. I keep all my favorite books so I can revisit them again, but I rarely do. There are so many new stories out there waiting for me. Though I do re-read Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander and Jude Deveraux’s Knight in Shining Armor.

Who are a few of your favorite authors?
I couldn’t possibly name all my favorite authors, but in addition to the two mentioned above, I’d have to add Jennifer Crusie and Caridad Pineiro to the list.

Can you tell us anything about the next book in the series?
The next book in the Survival Race Series is FEARLESS. The hero is mentioned in the first book, but not seen. This story was so much fun to write--a new adventure, a hot romance, and reappearances by some of my favorite characters in CAPTIVE. I hope readers enjoy both of these stories as much as I enjoyed writing them.


Thank you, Colette, for having me on A Buckeye Girl Reads today!

Review


Title: Captive
Author: K.M. Fawcett
Genre: Science Fiction Romance
Series: The Survival Race #1
Publisher: Forever Yours
Number of Pages: 384
Source: Netgalley
Release date: June 4, 2013
















Synopsis:
AN IMPOSSIBLE JOURNEY
The last thing Addy Dawson remembers is a blazing inferno and freezing river water overtaking her lungs. When she awakens, Addy finds herself on a strange, alien planet, trapped in a cell with no doors, no windows-- and to her horror-- a naked warrior who claims to be her mate.
AN UNDENiABLE PASSION
An alpha gladiator, Max is forced to breed and produce the finest specimens for the Survival Race, a deadly blood sport created by the alien rulers of Hyborea. To rebel means torture - or worse - yet Max refuses to become the animal his captors want him to be. But their jailors will not be denied, and soon Addy and Max find themselves unwilling players in this cruel game. Pushed to the limit, they will risk everything for the chance at a life free from captivity. And though fate brought them together as adversaries, Max and Addy will discover that when they're together, there's nothing in the universe that can stop them.



I loved the world that Captive was set in. It was unique! I also really enjoyed the premise of being kidnapped by aliens and put on a strange new world. The characters were lovable, independent, yet at the same time vulnerable. It's a harsh world, and I'm glad it wasn't sugar coated. I just had one small problem with the book-I felt like there was so much great world building being done that the romance got a little lost. The heroine, Addy, was so busy being upset at her circumstance (who wouldn't be?!) That the romance didn't really begin until more then halfway through the book. I just had a really hard time connecting to her at all, even though she had all of my favorite traits in a heroine: independent, kicks some major butt and won't take no for an answer. What made me kept reading this book was Max. He was super tough, yet so vulnerable. That's a hard mix to do!

Even though I had some issues with this one, I'm curious to see where this series goes and am looking forward to the second book in the series!